4.16.2008

Essentials? Check!

So I finished another book! Yay! Pretty amazing, really, considering all the busy-ness @ work and trying to get things around the house in order for going on the market... (we just counted - 16 days of work to finish everything on the 'to-do' list).

The Essentials of Living Aboard A Boat - the best "how-to" book I've read yet. Well, maybe the only "how-to" book I've read regarding the subject - and quite possibly the only one out there! No matter. Essential is a proper title. I began thinking about all sorts of stuff I hadn't before. For example, how to budget for this little transistion (I thought I knew, but I didn't really), and that a smoke detector that is also a Carbon Monoxide detector is a good idea. Also, all above the waterline through-hulls should have seacocks. Apparently, several boats were lost here in the NW during a rough winter - the weight of the snow and ice on deck pushed the boats down below their waterlines and took on water through holes that were never meant to be under the water. My husband, who works in the marine industry assures me it is now standard practice to seacock ALL through-hulls, no matter where they are.

The best advice from this little book is that boats do grow on trees. Looking @ those 16 days of weekend work on the house and seeing summer quickly approaching, it is the advice I hold on to now. What's the hurry? Boats grow on trees, dontcha know?

1 comment:

Jason said...

Hey happykamp, we've got a group of folks that are planning on moving on to boats and taking off in the next year or two. We usually meet up every couple weeks and talk about boats over beers. Anyways, if you guys are interested, (and local to Seattle) gimme a shout at my gmail address: andersen.jason

Jason