
Everywhere I look - a decision to be made! Hm, my over contemplative mind starts in... store, re-gift, toss, donate, or sell? Is that sentimental to my DH? Will I ever really use that? Will I regret it later that I tossed it? Is there room for it on the boat? Of course not - something must be done - but what? I mull every single little possibility, even so far as a mental picture of how it will look in my cube at work.
The good news is I have made progress - I put a big box of books in the car to be taken away someplace yet to be determined. I listed a few for sale on Amazon, and I started a few piles and many mental lists. I've mentally parted with most of the furniture, realizing I'm tiring of it anyways, and in the long run, it will be cheaper to purchase new furniture than to pay for the storage.
This is the toughest phase of all, I've read, making the transition (and our house isn't even on the market yet!). For the planner in me who wants to do everything correctly (whatever that is), this is a grueling exercise in learning to let go - of my stuff and my worry. The birds never worry about what they're going to eat tomorrow - why am I worrying about whether or not I should keep that electric fondue pot? The moral of the story where Jesus tells the rich guy to sell all his stuff and come follow him continually plays through my mind - it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle. I am the camel.
1 comment:
Hey, I'm glad to see someone else getting out there and doing it! I went through a very similar process when Christy and I moved into together. I found that giving furniture to family members worked really well. I also had to be pretty ruthless about what went into the Goodwill pile. We're also doing a big garage sale this summer to clean out the last of it.
Oh, and thanks for the link!
Post a Comment