1.21.2008

I Used to Keep a Diary...

I faithfully wrote in it every single night - many entries ending with nonsense words and scribbles, fading away as my thoughts morphed into sleep. It all ended the day (well maybe one or two days before) I got married. My journaling didn't end, but my faithful end-of-the-day habit did. Through pre-marital counseling, I learned that I am a contemplater, and it just hit me (three and a half years later) that journaling was my main outlet. It didn't matter so much what I wrote - just that I wrote, expelling the thoughts of the day down on to paper. I could almost feel them coming out of my brain, down my shoulder, through my arm and fingers, onto the paper. It helped me to sleep better at night.

So I thought I would take it up again, but in a more public and focused manner. Here is the main topic I will be covering in this blog:

My husband's dream is to sell everything and move aboard a boat and sail around the world. My history is one that includes a fear of water and absolutely no swimming or sailing ability. But slowly, his dream is appearing more attractive and attainable to me. It especially helped that we were able to spend what would have been a cold and icy January week on the sunny side of tropical Kauai. Contributing is reading the book Changing Course: A Woman's Guide to Choosing the Cruising Life (See my book list on the right for more info). I'm finding myself dreaming of sailing off in to the sunset more and more as I enjoy my final days of vacation before diving back in to the rat race. And for the record, while this is absolutely amazing and stunning, and a bit crazy, this is not the kind of sailing life I'm interested in: New Around-the-World Sailing Record

No comments: